The World has entered the new millennium, which is going to be an Information Technology Age. Today Computers have not only assumed strategic importance in the corporate world, they are being effectively used in other fields ranging from space exploration to food processing and banking to communication etc. In this era of Information Technology, which has revolutionised the whole world, INDIA has stood to the world standards and is being regarded the World over for it's skilled IT Professionals. Even the government has recognised the promising future of this industry and has formed a new IT Ministry which will give a boost to this industry.
Presence of Multinationals like IBM, HP has made possible transfer of hardware technology into the country, Internet has further bridged the time gap ensuring arrival of the latest technology simultaneously in INDIA and the West without delay. The domestic hardware industry has witnessed quantum growth in the turnover and profits, which is largely attributable to our liberalized economy. On the software front various software giants like IBM, Motorola, Oracle, Samsung, HP, Digital, Unisys, AT&T, ICL, Fugitsu etc. have opened software development centres in the country. The number of professionals in this industry is believed to have crossed the 2 lakh mark and still there is a huge gap between the demand and supply of professionals which is an encouraging sign. The US alone requires around 3 lakh professionals, leave aside other countries. It is believed around 65% of the world's software is produced in INDIA. INDIA is also exporting software to around 100 countries including many countries which are exclusive buyers from INDIA. Many Indian IT companies like Infosys, Wipro, NIIT, Zenith computers, Satyam Computers, STG, Pentafore Software, Mastek etc. are expanding themselves in a big way making their presence felt globally.
The phenomenal growth which this industry is witnessing has lead to it being recognised as one of the highly paid industry. As this industry is young, the average age of professionals is lower than any other industry. The availability of skilled, qualified professionals is hardly able to meet the requirement, leaving a large gap to be filled by those with ambition, aptitude and willingness to work hard.
Nature of work
Following are the career areas in this industry.
- SOFTWARE: Software is a set of programmed instructions that enable the computer to perform specified functions. This industry offers vast range of employment opportunities in fields starting from data entry, computer operations, programming, system analysis to system designing, system engineering and operation management. Today, this industry is one of the most sought after industry as far as returns are concerned.
- HARDWARE: Hardware denotes the physical components of a computer. The key areas which can be taken up as career includes hardware designing, research and development, assembling, manufacturing and maintenance of computer components.
- TELECOM: Telecommunications is a growing industry and has created ample of scope for people joining telecommunication engineering. The various fields which can be pursued as career in this industry include voice processing units, telephone technology, wireless technology, cellular technology, touchtone telephones, microwave and satellite communication systems.
- SALES & MARKETING: Sales and marketing in IT industry is a specialist task and requires a thorough study of products and their competition. Marketing covers selling of both hardware and software products. This job is both competetive and challenging but not difficult as the demand for hardware and software is quite high and does not require much effort in fixing a deal.
- E-COMMERCE AND WEB DEVELOPMENT: The coming together of computers and telecommunication technologies has led to the emergence of electronic commerce. Marketing and banking activities have already started taking place worldwide through Internet generating an Internet economy. Most of the future jobs anticipated in IT industry will be Internet related. These will include consumer/buyer information and services, developing and managing Web-portals, creation of Internet market, customer management, consulting etc.
- ENTERPRISE RESOURCE PLANNING: ERP is planning the resources of entire network of an enterprise. Various fields like purchase, production, marketing, distribution, sales, service, inventory, finance, accounts, human resource are integrated on a single software through ERP, to facilitate better coordination. Professionals with engineering background in mechinical, civil, manufacturing, textile as well as MBAs, chartered accountants, cost accountants can join technical ERP.
- COMPUTER OPERATOR A computer opereator's job is to run both the computer and its peripheral equipment. The job may vary depending upon size of the organisation and its exposure to computers. An operator usually works on instructions issued by programmers or operation managers. Upon acquiring programming trainning, he can even end up being a full time efficent application programmer.
- DATA ENTRY: Data entry is transfering information into the computer and is the most basic purpose for which computers are used. Data entry operators are needed in almost every organisation using computers. People with good typing skills are best suited for these jobs.